North Weald Redoubt
North Weald Redoubt, Epping Forest
North Weald Redoubt, located on the fringes of Epping was a mobilisation centre constructed as part of the London Defence Scheme between 1889 and 1903. It's function was as a store for ammunition and weapons, however its location was given away as it was positioned on a high point of land. In 1920 the Marconi Co purchased the land and it became the site of Ongar Radio Station. During world war II because of the importance of radio and communications, special VP troops were stationed there. Today, it is private land with no sign of any development, with the main redoubt flooded and signs of much vandalism. Remains of a large section of radio mast lies on the ground.